811 Jefferson Street, 2nd Floor
Napa, California 94559
Telephone: (707) 257-7750
Facsimile:  (707) 307-7140
© 2007 - 2015 Law Office of trevor g. jackson.  All rights reserved.
site design and construction by calpi design.
Firm Profile
Practice Areas
Contact Us
Other Services


An agent for service of process, also known as a "registered agent," is mandatory for all California entities, including: Corporations; Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), Limited Partnerships (LPs), and Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs); as well as for foreign corporations, LLCs, and LPs registered to do business in California. Essentially, an agent for service of process is a person designated by the entity to receive a summons and complaint that may be filed against the entity for damages alleged by a plaintiff (i.e. “service of process”).

Most owners of small California corporations and California LLCs designate themselves as the company's registered agent. While this is perfectly acceptable, you should be aware that your name and street address becomes part of the public record, for anyone to see (the same is true for company's principal office address). A registered agent should also be diligent and reliable: failing to notify the entity's officers or members in a timely manner could result in adverse legal consequences, including a default judgment.

The Law Office will serve as your diligent agent for service of process for a reasonable annual fee. Please contact the office for further information.


You may file a small claims matter if you have a dispute involving money, and the amount in dispute is $7,500.00 or less. However, if you are a corporation, government agency or other entity, the maximum is generally $5,000.

In small claims court, a lawyer cannot represent you - so, you must represent yourself. However, the law office can help you file your claim and prepare you for the hearing. Although Mr. Jackson cannot represent you at the small claims hearing, you have every right to talk with him before the matter is heard, and have the law office assist in your preparation.

Moreover, parties are entitled to attorney representation if the small claims judgment is properly appealed, which is called a “trial de novo.” If you or the other party appeals, it is always wise to seek legal representation. Contact the office for additional information about the services and affordable rates offered for small claims court matters.

                                 •                                  •                                 •                                 •                                 •